Macdonald Center is hiring for a Community Liason Summer Intern! See below for Job Details.
Job Title: Community Liaison
Classification: Internship – Full-time 40 hours per week; June 10- August 16, 2013
Reports to: Outreach Coordinator
Position Description: The Community Liaison works to break down social isolation and build community in Old Town Portland by providing hospitality to residents housed in low-income buildings. The Liaison will coordinate and provide daily hospitality and support services in Macdonald Center’s Community Room.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide daily hospitality in Center’s Community Room, including greeting and hosting guests, visiting with individuals, identifying client needs and connecting guests to resources or staff members.
- Help organize community-building activities in the Community Room, including monthly birthday parties, art and writing workshops, small support groups, exercise groups, etc.
- Implement current Community Room programming, including a monthly calendar of events.
- Work with individual residents to advocate for their needs and support them in their lives.
- Help with volunteer recruitment, orientation, training and debriefing sessions.
- Help solicit and gather donations for Community Room.
- Other responsibilities as agreed upon.
Qualifications or credentials, physical requirements:
- Experience working (or desire to work) with people living with mental illness, physical and/or developmental disabilities, addictions, criminal histories, etc.
- Ability to work as a team member in an ever-changing, often chaotic environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships through successful interpersonal, written and verbal communication.
- Self-directed and motivated for social justice ministry.
- Compassionate and sensitive to all types of people.
- Desire to address issues of urban poverty and social isolation.
- Ability to bend, lift 25 lbs, travel up to 1 mile on foot/with assistive device.
Compensation: Stipend of $3,580.00.
How to Apply: Please submit cover letter and resume to Sarah Knuth at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted until position is filled.